A brief history of Avonway Community Centre (Fordingbridge & District Community Association)

1835
Church Commissioners erect the building, now known as Avonway, in Shaftesbury Street. The land and buildings are still owned by the Diocese of Winchester. The original school, comprising 240 children at its inception, is a single room with a stone-flagged floor.
1879
the South Room is built for the boys at a cost of £350.
1894
the Annexe is constructed (£600) to accommodate the girls.
1955
365 pupils of all school ages are on the register, so some are taught at the Town Hall.
1957
pressure on space is eased with the opening of the new secondary school at Burgate.
1968
some classes move to the new site at Penny’s Lane.
1974
the Shaftesbury Street site eventually closes as a school.
1975
Fordingbridge & District Community Association is first registered with the Charity Commission.
1989
the building is extended with the addition of a new entrance hall, an office, toilets and a kitchen.
2010
following extensive refurbishment by Hampshire County Council, the annexe opens as Stepping Stones pre-school.
2013
the East and West rooms are totally refurbished by the local Rotary Club.
2021
following the receipt of grants, the roof over the main building is fully replaced.
2023
Avonway becomes a Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
2025
Stepping Stones pre-school moves to a premises at Fordingbridge Junior School.

